Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Match Made In Heaven

Echino Fall 2010 Bird Border Eggplant is such a stunning and unique print. It was a bit of a challenge to figure out a way to show it off without taking anything away from the gorgeous pattern. Amy Butler's Anna Tunic pattern turned out to be the perfect match. It is as if the two were made for each other because the pattern is able to maintain the entire print so none of the fabulous design gets lost. I just love how this print takes a very simple dress pattern and makes it into something really gorgeous and interesting.


Amy Butler Anna Tunic Pattern



Amy Butler Anna Tunic Pattern


Echino by Etsuko Furuya Fall 2010 Bird Border Eggplant
Echino by Etsuko Furuya Fall 2010 Bird Border Eggplant


Here is Arleen, looking lovely as usual, modeling the dress.
Just belting the dress creates pleats down the front.
I did end up making a couple of changes to the pattern. Since the Echino is a linen/cotton blend, I opted out of lining the dress. I didn't want the dress, especially with the gathering under the yoke, to look too bulky.


The pattern uses the lining to finish the underarm edges so I had to do a little improvising. I made bias tape with some of the extra fabric. Before attaching the yoke, I cut a 1 1/2" strip, folded it in half and sewed it on to the right side of the dress. I then flipped it over the raw edge and sewed it in place. That was it - a fast and easy way to finish the arms.

The last change I made was to use a cotton solid for the lining of the yoke rather than the Echino. The little pop of color is super cute. I also used turquoise thread in my bobbin rather than brown thread to keep the stitching as subtle as possible.


Enjoy and have fun sewing!

11 comments:

Ashley said...

What a great use of that print! I love it, and will definitely have to keep it in mind for next summer!

i like orange, too! said...

That. Is. Rad. I really need to learn to sew garments. Thanks for the inspiration!

Cara said...

Wow! That dress is seriously awesome. I must must must start sewing garments.

Justine said...

That is just gorgeous and I love it! Its def. on my New Year 'To Do' list!

Emily said...

WOW! How flippin' cute is that?? It almost makes me brave enough to sew up one for myself. A tunic dress really is the best wardrobe all summer and spring! humm.

Sarahby said...

That is stunning...I'm not much of a commenter but that was inspired...I love it!

Sarah@PingsAndNeedles said...

Just the perfect fabric and the perfect pattern.

I've just added my Echino quilt to your flickr group - thank you for the chance to buy such wonderful fabric, from all the way over here in the UK!

neubiewaters said...

I've had this pattern for a while...love your dress! How much fabric did you have to buy to get the pattern the way you have it?

Lunden said...

Thank you so much for the nice comments. Neubiewaters - to answer your question, I just used the fabric requirements stated on the pattern for the dress option.

mariko said...

Where were all you cute and creative people when I lived in Paso Robles?!

Laura said...

As fate would have it I stumbled upon your beautiful dress today after a Christmas shopping trip to NYC. Believe it or not I brought 3 yards of this gorgeous fabric home in my suitcase. I bought it not knowing what I would do with it, but that I had to have it. Now I know why it was calling me. Thanks for the inspiration!